The first hat I made for Norris was as big as the amount of yarn I had (there was maybe a 5 inch tail when I finished to tie it off) and it was really a bit small, so I knew I needed to make him a better one. This one uses leftover yarn from the plaid throw I made last year.
The pattern was free on Ravely, called the "Strib Hat." It was a very simple design with a changing rib and stripes for interest. But I had the first stripe done and Norris said he really prefers his hat to turn back so there are two layers covering his years. After the first stripe, I essentially knit everything else inside out.
I knitted that while this next project was being blocked on my quilt design wall. You get two photos because there are two sides.
I did not intend to make the two sides different, but accidentally switched the yarns I was using as the second contrast color only a few rows into the first side. The one above is made the way I intended them to show up. I can't decide which I like better.
Back to my pillow, here it is in context on our foyer bench.