Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Gallery Show

Dorry and other quilting friends in the Northern Virginia area have just finished hanging a quilt show at a gallery in Herndon, ArtSpace Herndon. The show is called Quilts; Collaborative Art by Northern Virginia Quilters and there are a few examples of my work in the show, on my own pieces and on some of Dorry's. She just sent me a few photos taken as they were getting the show ready.

Here is my quilt, Feathered and Other Fine Friends - the most recent of my Round Robin projects - put together by the five other members and Dorry, and recently quilted by me - hanging next to Dorry's quilt Purple Passion. Purple Passion won an honorable mention at the Asheville guild show a couple of years ago and was one of the earliest pieces I quilted on the longarm.


Carolina Waltz, the Old from New challenge quilt I made hangs in the lower row of this group. The other quilts in the photo are from the same challenge, where we all started with a vintage Dresden Plate block.

This next photo features two quilts I worked on for Dorry - Riverdance and Massanetta Mystery, center and right on the wall facing the camera.


The gallery and the quilters worked together to hang the quilts - the larger quilt in this photo with the orange background is one of Dorry's Round Robin quilts - I quilted it for her.


Most of these quilts have been shown previously - and Dorry's Riverdance and her Carolina Lilies were both in a large National level quilt show - but I think this is the first time our quilts are on display in an art venue.

Dorry and the other quilters had a lot of work preparing for the show - and it doesn't end there as they are planning to man the gallery at least part-time for the duration of the show, since the regular staff are not quilters. There's an opening reception this coming Sunday, January 15th from 2-4:00 p.m. for anyone in the area.

4 comments:

Sherrye said...

Congratulations on your past awards and your success in the art world!!

Dorry said...

This is so good of you to get the story out. Thank you. I'm looking forward to seeing how the show is received.

Judy said...

The quilts look wonderful. I am sure the quilting public and the textile artists will pour into this delightful space! I wish I could be there and congratulate you in person for a job well done!!

Heather said...

From the photos the quilts look amazing. Recently I helped organise a quilt show, and unframed art show. The combination of both quilts and art (oil and watercolour and pastel etc) looked wonderful together. I do know just how much work goes into putting an exhibition on though!