This week's block, Hovering Hawks, was straighforward to make. I simplified the color scheme from Ms. Brackman's instructions. She had good reasons to mix reds and blues, but I like the block better with just blues.
Earlier this week, I spent a prize discount won from Tipsy Star Quilts, the newest local fabric store in our area, on a packet of fabrics. It had some prints I was pretty sure would blend well with the blues and reds I've been using. I took apart my Week 28 block, Next Door Neighbor, and put in some of the new fabrics. I reused two of my original choices. The first time I made it, I used a blue that was too clear, and to make the design work, I had put in two other fabrics that went with it. But then the block didn't play well with the more muted tones of the rest of the blocks. I'm a lot happier with this version:
I also got a better mix of scales with these new additions. I am not generally a fan of pre-cut fabric packs, preferring to mix and match my own colors and prints, but I was running out of the lightest and darkest values. And I was getting tired of the combinations I could get with the fabrics I had on hand. With 1/4th of the blocks remaining, these 10 inch squares will give me a quick fix to both problems. The faint blue on white print in my Hovering Hawks block above was also from the new set. I think as long as I keep mixing these with the fabrics I've been using, I'll be happy with the new ones.
(I did prewash my precuts - as I do all my fabrics!)