Monday, June 23, 2014

Austen Family Album Week 12 - Waves of the Sea

I thought I would do the more complicated original version of this block and that I would paper piece it for precision. 



Great idea except the block above (with the last three seams basted and not pressed) was 12 inches and I'm making mine 9.  I just didn't look at that setting when I printed the paper foundations.  

I took it apart down to all the sets of triangles - that is, I didn't not have to separate the two triangles that form squares, cut each square to the correct size for my quilt, and voila -


I left the paper attached but still lost some of the precision I had. In my photos, the only way to see the difference is in the scale of the blue and white print.  I didn't place them in exactly the same way the second time.

So this block was more than twice the work it should have been - all the unsewing costs about as much as recutting, but I didn't want to waste my precious periwinkle and yellow handdyes from Vicki Welsh!


2 comments:

Dorry said...

The new correctly sized version does not seem to have the same dynamic look in the yellow areas (especially in the center). But as I know it is the same fabric I'm going to assume it is the photo.Whatever - it's a great look for the block.

Anna Banana said...

A miscalculation that required deconstructing, trimming, and reconstructing would have to happen in a block that has a godzillion pieces!
This is something I would expect ME to do... Not you. But all's well that ends well and the finished block has a lot of interest!