Following up on my Start of Summer post I have finished turning the Carolina Lily block into a little quilt for the seasons challenge. As I looked at the colors in the original block and the colors that came up when I searched for summer images, I found watermelons.
There are lots of watermelon quilts out there if you do an image search. I chose not to portray the seeds as literally as most but the dotted black and white print in the binding is a nod to them. The black and white flower pot was the jumping off point for the large-scale checkered background to the blocks made in an original Drunkards Path style.
There was a permanent stain next to the flower on the right side of the original block that didn't bother me, but stood out to Norris. A little butterfly appliqued on, Broderie Perse style after the quilting was finished, hides that issue.
My quilting was a little more whimsical than usual for me, with the casual loops on the rinds of the slices and in a ring on the outer part of the pink watermelon flesh.
The back is the pretty daisy print from Sherrye's mother's stash.