Wednesday, September 10, 2014

End of Summer

Following up on my Start of Summer post I have finished turning the Carolina Lily block into a little quilt for the seasons challenge. As I looked at the colors in the original block and the colors that came up when I searched for summer images, I found watermelons.



There are lots of watermelon quilts out there if you do an image search. I chose not to portray the seeds as literally as most but the dotted black and white print in the binding is a nod to them. The black and white flower pot was the jumping off point for the large-scale checkered background to the blocks made in an original Drunkards Path style.

There was a permanent stain next to the flower on the right side of the original block that didn't bother me, but stood out to Norris. A little butterfly appliqued on, Broderie Perse style after the quilting was finished, hides that issue.


My quilting was a little more whimsical than usual for me, with the casual loops on the rinds of the slices and in a ring on the outer part of the pink watermelon flesh.


 The back is the pretty daisy print from Sherrye's mother's stash.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

Your quilting is really cute and perfect for the theme and design. I love this little quilt!

Dorry said...

Love, love, love it! So fun and appropriate for summer.

Anna Banana said...

Lillie's to watermelons... Love it!