As has happened with other blocks for this quilt, we have a slightly different block than the original West Virginia to work with, to make it easier to piece in the 8 inch size. This time it's a pretty substitute:
Four "y" seams later... I did not use the cutting instructions provided. I had to double check in EQ and indeed that's what is provided (though with a bit more accuracy, it is a 1 15/16 inch strip vs a 1 7/8 for the parallelogram.) But it looked to me like those would have bias edges on the outside of the block. It might be nice if you were working with a stripe, but I wasn't so I cut mine from 2.5 inch strips - and the result is a nice square block that will finish at 8 inches.