This would be a straightforward block to make ... at 6 or 9 or 12 inches. I decided to follow BB's instructions for this nine-patch block. I think next time, I'll check for those 16ths of an inch. I didn't like that my half square triangle units were smaller than my squares.
I thought I had plenty of fabrics to pick from till I got to this block. Weary of using the large scale prints I had been working with, I looked around at my other fabrics for the floral to put in the center. The rich gold fabric was one I only had about a small bit of - the rest of it is in a quilt I gave Mom and Dad several years ago. I had been saving it for a time like this, when I was getting tired of picking from the rest of the choices. It's just a darker version of the golds I already had and I'll be able use it in a few more blocks to make it fit better.
At week 25, we can layout a square grid. Some of the quilters working on this have already started setting the blocks together. I'm going to want to consult with the recipients before I decide on the size for the finished quilt, so that's not an option for me until later this year.
These are shown in the order I made them, read as though you were reading a book. They won't go this way into the quilt. I'll be distributing the colors and the types of blocks -- there's a lot to work with: stars, pinwheels, center-focus, diagonal-focus... It's not going to look like a Civil War quilt with that much going on and such a wide variety of fabrics in my palette. The setting and border fabrics will have to work quietly and tie them all together.